Imports - What you should Know |


Worldwide communication and the internet makes buying a motorcycle, ATV, Utility Vehicle or Jet Ski from half way across the world seem like a piece of cake. But there are a few things you should know before engaging in such a project.

First of all, what is the country of origin? If the product is purchased from within the EU and originally placed on the market by Kawasaki Motors Europe NV (KME) or one of its official representatives, it will comply with EU regulations. You should therefore make certain that you receive all the necessary (original) documentation.

However, products originally destined for other world markets, such as Japan, USA, Canada or South East Asia, do not automatically comply with EU regulations and may not produce the same power as EU models. They may require additional testing and/or modifications before they can be put into service in the EU.

From January 1st, 2010, if you, as a private person, import a product from outside the EU, you are also responsible for putting it into service in the EU and must keep the relevant documentation for 10 years. Even if you have sold the product, you must keep it for future reference. Be aware that you may also be purchasing a product which has been imported by a third party (a trader) who tries to pass off the product as being compliant.

Note: If you are moving or relocating from a non-EU country into the EU and the Motorcycle, ATV, PWC or UV has been part of your household in the country of origin, special rules may apply.

Please also remember that Kawasaki Motors Europe may not carry unique spare parts for models which are imported from outside the EU.

Imports Q&A

Motorcycles which are privately imported from outside the EU cannot be provided with a Certificate of Conformity by KME as these products are not in compliance with EU type approval.
If the motorcycle is bought from within the EU and originally imported by KME it should come with a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) together with the registration documents.
Always ask for an original CoC. Do not accept any copy as it may be used to try to pass off a non-European specification bike as an official import. This could result in major problems when trying to register it in your own country.

CoC identification for Kawasaki motorcycles:

Euro 4 models: White paper with red Kawasaki logo in the upper right hand corner* and micro-printed text for models with Euro 4 (168/2013) approval.
*Scooter models have a red and blue logo comprising a styled oval ‘K’ and the manufacturer’s name in this position.

Euro 3 models: Green, watermarked Kawasaki paper* for models with Euro 3 (2002/24/EC) approval (from November 2003)
*Scooter models use blue paper with a white outer edge and a red and blue logo comprising a styled oval ‘K’ and the manufacturer’s name in this position.

Older models: Blue, watermarked Kawasaki paper for a limited range of models with a 92/61/EEC approval imported by KME for a limited number of markets up to November 2003. If your motorcycle is from the period 1999 until November 2003 please enquire.